Dhokala is a world famous dish of Gujarati cuisine, also known as white dhokla. This is prepared using fermented batter prepared using daal and rice and it is spongy in texture. This traditional dish is considered healthy as it is prepared using steaming method. It is usually prepared for dinner. It is tempered with generous amount of mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chillies, hing and coriander leaves which enhances the taste like anything.
Here is the recipe.
3 cup Rice
1 cup udad daal
1 tsp methi dana
To taste salt
1 tsp Ginger-garlic-chilli paste
1/4 tsp soda-bi-carb
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
5-7 green chillies
8-9 curry leaves
2 tbsp coriander leaves
Pinch of hing, black pepper powder
1) soak daal and rice separately overnight in sufficient water. Add methi dana along with daal.
2) Next morning, remove water and transfer it to a mixer jar. Grind it to a idli batter like consistency. Use little amount of water while grinding if required.
3) cover it and keep it aside for further 7-8 hours for fermentation.
4) grease the tray with little oil. Keep your steamer ready by keeping the water which is boiling.
5) add salt, Ginger-garlic-chilli paste and soda-bi-carb to it and give a good mix.
6) pour the batter into tray, sprinkle some pepper powder and keep it into steamer for fifteen minutes to get cook.
7) once it is cooked, let it get cool down and then cut it into pieces.
8) prepare a tempering of mustard seeds, green chillies, curry leaves, hing and spread it over the dhokla. Sprinkle coriander leaves on top.
9) serve with green chutney.