Rice is one of the staple diet of majority of the people of our country. In different cuisines, its preparation is different and so is it’s taste.
Tendli bhaat is a dish from Maharashtrian cuisine. Here rice and ivy gourd are cooked together which comes out in the form of this exciting dish.
This is a soul satisfying one pot meal usually prepared on special occasions in maharashtrian kitchens. Maharashtra is my ‘karmabhoomi’ and some of its food varieties are loved in every corner of the country.
I love tendli bhaat as I found it easy and quick to prepare. And it tastes delicious.
Tendli masale bhaat can be enjoyed with curd and homemade pickle.
300 gram ivy gourd
3 cup basmati rice
2 tbsp ghee
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp freshly grated coconut
2 green chillies
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1. Cut ivy gourd into long slit
2. Soak rice into sufficient water for atleast 20 minutes.
3. In a pan, add ghee
4. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
5. Add chopped onions and garlic and ginger paste and sauté it. Also add split green chili.
6. Add ivy gourd. Add turmeric, red chilli, salt, garam masala and stir fry it
7. Add rice and water to the double the quantity of rice.
8. Cover the lid and let it get cooked.
9. Add freely grated coconut and mix gently.
10. Top it with some fresh shredded coconut and chopped coriander leaves.